The Verdeja-Bellemans Adventures!!

Thursday, March 12, 2009

Points of view...

Yesterday was Student Led Conference day at school. I proudly went to Lía's classroom to meet her and to be her audience for 45 min. It was a beautiful display of knowledge and understanding of what's going on in their 5th grade world. Not only was I proud of her, I experimented that feeling that we parents lack during our parenthood (and should have more to overcome the opposite one): I was proud of myself as a father, and proud of An as a mother. Proud of us as a team. Proud of my parents because they raised us as we are now. And proud of... and proud of... and also of...

With all that in mind I was asked at the end of the conference to fill up a form to give my feedback through two uncomplete sentences that I had to fill with my own thoughts. They called it "Parent Reflection"
  • I REALLY ENJOYED LEARNING ABOUT how to structure a creative writing
  • I WAS PLEASED TO SEE THAT MY CHILD COULD measure with different kind of units knowing which one to use in each case.
And it was signed by me.

You can relate to that pride feeling I was talking about, can't you? Well, there was another section on the form reserved for the child in question. Also with two uncompleted sentences that they chose to name "Student Reflection". They were:
  • THE THING I WANTED MOM AND DAD TO UNDERSTAND THE MOST WAS everything in my porfolio! (yes, there is an exclamation point at the end)

  • THE MOST EXCITING PART OF THE CONFERENCE WAS telling our parents to turn their cell phones off. I also liked showing my Hoi An highlights. (Now I remember her satisfaction face when she asked me, and how she and her accomplice Gaby made that YESS!!! gesture in unison as if it was rehearsed)

And, of course, it was signed by Lía.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home